[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor charge/ discharge

My understanding of a hv discharge cap (oil filled type) was that it's
construction was essentially the same as a normal oil filled capacitor
except for much heavier multiple connections to the internal structure
and possibly a non rolled construction so as to withstand higher
currents and minimize parasitic inductance. What is the mechanism by
which these caps will not tolerate low current charging? Is the internal
construction different to what I have described?
Dan
Snip...
>Bad idea Dan.  All energy discharge caps should be charged in less than
10
>seconds for optimum lifetime.  Slow charging is not recommended.
Charge
>for 5 time constants and then fire as soon as practical thereafter.
>
>DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net
Snip...