[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wire for a magnifier driver

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Lyonelb-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi guys,
>
> after good results with my dual TC , I begin to build a magnifier.
> I use guidelines of Bert Pool but I'm not sure about the wire of the
> secondary.
>
> Diameter of the PVC shape : 400 mm ( 15.7 " ) .
> AWG gauge :  #14 ?
>
> High voltage test prod wire is expensive with such gauge and I can't find it
> in very long rolls ( 100 m = 327 ' )

HV wire is expensive, but you can get it in 1000 ft rolls from the
manufacturer (Belden, Rowe-Talley, etc...)

You'll have to decide if the dimensions are appropriate, but what about
the inner core of coax, either RG-59/58 (quarter inch od) or
RG-8/213/11  (half inch od) families... You could probably find surplus
RG-58 from coax ethernets being ripped out and replaced with Cat 5
twisted pair. A bit of work to strip the outer jacket and shield (I'd
build some sort of jig with a razor blade(s) in the right position to
pull the cable through), but you'll get nice polyethylene insulated wire
as a result. RG-8 is AWG#13 stranded core.

. Can I do a isolated solder joint
> between two rolls  ( + silicone resin ) ? Can I use multilayers of 16 AWG
wire
> ?
>
> What is #THHN# stranded #14 "Household" wire ?

THHN refers to the type of insulation in a standardized notation (I'm
not sure of the origin of the coding.. probably something from NEMA or
NFPA) See National electrical code Table 310-13, for instance

http://regionalweb.texoma-dot-net/Texoma/Codes/Electrical/t310-13.htm

THHN - Heat Resistant Thermoplastic  - rated to 90 deg C
THHW - Moisture and heat resistant Thermoplastic - rated to 90 deg C
dry, 75 deg in wet location
THWN - moisture and heat resistant thermoplastic - rated to 75 deg
anywhere

By the way, #14 would usually be solid for house wiring use. Typically,
houses are wired with #14 solid for most branch circuits, #12 for
heavier currents or longer runs. #10 would be the size were stranded
becomes more popular (solid is just too stiff to run through things).

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213