[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design .

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>   Ed -
>
>   In your description "that as the belt moves up etc" cannot be possible
> because there is no charge on the inside of the terminal to repel the charge
> on the belt. No charge inside the terminal is the electrical magic that
> surprised Faraday. If the belt was on the outside of the terminal the
> charges would repel as you stated but that is not what happens.
>
>   You say that the "belt backed away". That could indicate a possible
> repelling effect but not necessarily an increasing repelling effect with an
> increasing terminal voltage.
>
>   It is obvious the work to get the charge on the VDG terminal must come
> from somewhere. This work appears to be in the form of belt friction
> creating electrical charges or from a separate power supply. The electrical
> friction would be a load on the belt motor but would be a very small part of
> the total motor load. This electrical friction load would be a constant so
> would not slow up the motor as the voltage on the terminal increases. If
> there is a separate power supply there would be no electrical friction load
> on the belt motor. The work to charge the terminal would come from the power
> supply.

I might be missing something, but...

If the belt were completely contained within a conducting cylinder that
was electrically connected to the top terminal, then what you say would
be true.  But in the VDG generators I've seen, the top of the VDG is
seperated from the base by an insulating column (with or without the
equalizing rings), so the top terminal is at a high voltage relative to
the base of the VDG and work is necessary to transport the charge carried
by the belt against the voltage gradient.  By the basic definition of
voltage, the higher the voltage, the more work is necessary to move the
charge.

Steve Roys.