[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hand Operated Pump

Hello Adam, all

I use two fridge compressors in series to pump down my caps and play around
with evacuated globes. While these pumps do not pump down into the millitorr
range, they work great for my purposes. Plus you will get them for cheap (<$5
a piece) or even free. The bigger the fridge, they come from, was the better
they will work. You will need to run them about 30 minutes before using them,
as they will spew out a little compressor oil (the freon or other coiling
agent dissolves in the oil and when you return the compressor to atmospheric
pressure (by opening the refridgeration circuit) the freon boils out of the
oil.) in the beginning. Just provide a puke can where they can spit the oil
(enough oil remains in the compressor to provide cooling, lubrication and
sealing action) into. If you run these pumps around evacuted globes, you might
want to put the output (pressure) side into a bucket of soapy water. This will
prevent the oil (which will be bonded by the soapy water) from contaminating
your globes, etc.
I have run these pumps for hours on end and they only get hand warm. After
all, they are designed for high duty cycle usage.

Pumping greets from germany,
Reinhard

 Original Poster: "Adam Parker" <park_e_r-at-hiwaay-dot-net>

     Has anyone on the list ever used one of those automotive brass hand
 pumps? They are very reasonably priced at $39.99. I'm thinking about picking
 one up soon as I'm getting to the point in my hobby where some form of a
 vacuum pump is a must. Right now all I need is something that will pump down
 capacitors. It would be nice if I could a also exhaust globes, tubes, and
 other vessells. I didn't get a chance to look at the gauge closely, and I
 know little about vacuums at the moment. All in all, would it be a better
 idea to get a motorized pump? I've yet to see one for sale, used or
 otherwise.

 Here's to another year of coiling,

             Adam