[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Elementary Lecture

Brandywine,

ANY voltage, if sufficiently high, at any frequency, will emanate into the
air from terminals with a small enough radius of curvature.  The
discharges, called corona, are enhanced visually as the frequency gets
above the audio range.  But in a dark room, you can see about 20 KV or more
DC
emanate from a needle point.  You will have to get an explanation from
someone knowledgable with ionization of the various components of air to
understand why the arc color varies with frequency and energy.

--Steve