[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coils and Lamp Tests -

  To All -

  My understanding of the electrical fields around a Tesla coil (TC) is
described briefly as follows. Note that currents are moving charges.

  1. Electrostatic (ES) Fields - Stationary electrical charges
     The space around charged objects or a TC recently deenenergized
     Detected by an electroscope or electrostatic voltmeter or "shock"
     No currents - Only electrical forces - Action at a distance
     Electric fields can induce charges on objects

  2. Electromagnetic (EM) Fields - Moving electrical charges
     Weak radiation around an energized TC
     Detected by radio receiver or Electric Field meters
     The "E" electric field and "B" magnetic field are interactive
     These EM fields make up the electromagnetic, Hertzian, or radio waves
     The energy in this wave from a nearby radio transmitter is what was
energizing Malcolm's LEDs using an antenna and tuned circuit

  3. Faraday (FA) Fields - Moving electrical charges
     Strong magnetic fields around energized TC
     The currents in the TC secondary wire produce these magnetic fields
     These fields produce currents in Reinhard's 12" wire antenna
     Detected by energizing Reinhard's incandescent lamp

  4. This brings up the question as to exactly what field or fields Terry's
antenna are measuring when placed within a few feet of the TC? Would this
affect the phase shift?

  5. It should be noted that in order to simplify??? the science of
electricity that there are 3 systems of units, Electrostatic (CGS),
Electromagnetic (MKS), and Practical (VARCL)!!

  6. It would be interesting to hear what other coilers understand regarding
the electrical fields around the Tesla coil.

  John Couture