[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gap Oscillator Efficiency

Coilers,

I have wondered just how efficient a disruptive TC is in converting input
power to RF power.  Seems like one could do the following experiment:
1) From a normal functioning spark gap TC, remove the secondary.
2) Add a one turn secondary spaced from the primary to achieve the same K
as you had with the secondary.
3) Hook a bank of incandescent lamps across the one turn coil of roughly
the same wattage as your input power.  I imagine these would have to be in
series for good impedance matching.  Maybe two strings of 10 100 watt bulbs
in series for a 2 KW load?
4) From a small variac, feed one more bulb to serve as a reference.
5) Fire up the TC, which should light up the "dummy load" bulbs.
6) Adjust the reference bulb to be the same brightness as one of the load
bulbs.
7) Measure the voltage and current to the reference bulb and calculate
watts.
8) Measure the power into the spark gap oscillator.  I suppose most coilers
will have to settle for measuring the wall plug V and A and guess at
transformer and ballast losses.
9) Calculate efficiency of the oscillator as dummy load power/input power.

Has anyone done this, or otherwise measured the efficiency?  How does
disruptive TC coil efficiency compare to tube coil efficiency?  Seems like
I remember a Class C RF amplifier is around 70% efficient.

--Steve