[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: This phase shift stuff... - Plane Wave

Hi Terry,

<snip>
> The current in the secondary is in phase from top to bottom, however the
> magnitude of the current decreases drastically across the length of the
> coil.  This is due to energy being sucked out of the secondary and
> transferred into space charge in the volume around the coil.  In the dark,
> you can see the corona indicating that the current is leaving the secondary
> along its length in a powerful system.

Well that pretty much settles it. Without a topload, distributed wins.
It is the question of current uniformity that matters. So our lumped
LC frequency predicting recipes are just that - recipes and no more.
Therefore, Medhurst is not a gospel value for Cself of a bare coil,
just a useful recipe for predicting Fself.

     The next question then is: does secondary behaviour change from
primary dwell to no primary dwell? I claim it does not after many
many attempts to measure it. Anyone out there contradict that finding
(apart from C&C)? If so, please give the exact experimental setup and
measuring techniques.

Malcolm