[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

T-minus 5 days and counting...

Hello everyone!

Well weve' finished constructing our first (and test) saltwater cap.  I
think it's a no go.  First off, I can't seem to stop it from leaking on on
the top.  The air gap above the oil to the cap is nearly a quarter of an
inch and for someone reason, the oil continues to wick up the bolt and out
the top.  Idea is nearly scratched.

Not only that, I tested it at my store with just an automotive battery
charging it up and it was able to hold only .1 volt to every 12.  I really
don't know if this is a good test, but I really wasn't impressed.  I know,
I know we should have tested the capacitance, but at this late in the ball
game I really can't spend a whole lot of time working on, refining and
testing something that really doesn't show promise out of the gate.

Anyhow, here's the specs of the resigned coil:

Staying with the same Xfmr

            10KV 25ma

Same Secondary:

            22ga 4.2" dia wound 21 in

We're going to duplicate our sparkgap for a total of 6 gaps

New items:

    Toroid:

            1" dia foil ball

    Primary:

            10 ga wire
            ID of winding:  7.7"
            Wire spacing:  .5"
            Total truns:     18

    Cap:

            .011 uF  Probably Ceramic at this late in the ball game.

Any thoughts?

Kent