[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: This phase shift stuff...

>Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:51:30 -0700
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: This phase shift stuff...
>From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
>Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
>At 08:07 AM 2/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Tesla List wrote:
>>>
>>> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>>>

>*****major text removal*****
>"	Here is a question for the students.  If you have a coil 12 inches in
>diameter close wound with #24 wire with a sine signal is applied to the
>base.  How long must the coil be the get a top to bottom phase shift of
45
>degrees in the voltage or current at resonance?  I am not sure all the
>tools exist to answer that question (perhaps they have the high dollar
>software available that could tackle this..), but if they want a
>challenge...
>	If they figure this out, a written report would be very useful to
us!!"

>It's just a coil of wire, so how hard could it be... :-))
>
>	Terry"
Terry,
   Did't Hertz address this question so many years ago?

My money is on your "Top load in sync with the standing wave"
statement. Since E and I are only in phase at resonance, no
difference should be detectable at any given point. If this were
the case ,microwave waveguides would have massive losses in their
centers do to reflections caused by gradual phase change. As we know
it facilitates the propagation of the standing wave with good
efficiency. I believe a similar facilitation occurs in the lumped
TC by feild placement creating the "standing wave". The current
flowing through the inductance does not change along it's length
unless your equipment creates a current loop at that point!
Futhermore, some false phase shift may be interpreted due to the
ratio of the base loading impedance to the location of the probe
(Xl)along the length.

Does anyone share this view?

Jim McVey