[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help...I'm having a lot of problems here...

First off, Thanks to all who helped in getting us in the right direction.
Just so that everyone knows, this is not just something that we have thrown
together in the 11th hour.  We've been on this project for nearly 6 months.
We actually wound the secondary clear back in November, and I'm here to tell
you that it is beautiful!  I just underestimated the time required to get
this thing in tune.

Today was the judging and we were able to dazzle them with the gap alone and
coaxed them into having us back on next Friday when we promised to deliver
the real deal then...just like my pop always said, "leaving them wanting
more."

T-minus 8 days and counting...

I have gotten several ideas from your posts, but now I have several
questions to go with these ideas:

    1    I think we will go with a saltwater or Layden jar type cap. We live
in a very small town and I've been unable to find doorknob caps.  I've found
some good looking plans at http://www.amasci-dot-com/tesla/cap2.html and I was
wondering I anyone felt that these caps were better/worse/indifferent that
the ceramic caps in mineral oil we were using before?

    2    I currently have a 3 gap air gap.  Is this acceptable or should
there be more/less gaps and what exactly is the benefit of more/less gaps?

    3    Do I have enough transformer for my secondary?

I must say all of you have been very helpful in this project, we truly
appreciate all  your help.  My step son and I are having a ball with this
project, and you wouldn't believe how much this kid has learned at the age
of 13.  He was totally amazed when I told him we were getting responses from
as far away as Germany and New Zealand!  Thanks to all.

Kent