[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube coil capacitors

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Phillip D. Rembold" <prembold-at-gte-dot-net>
>
>  If you need a capacitor, ( for either a tube or spark gap coil ) don't
> have much money to spend, and your project can accommodate the extra room,
> the quickest source for high voltage capacitors is used TV's. Specifically
> the CRT - a small 12" monitor has about 0.001 MFD and will hold a voltage
> around 50 KV, a 24" picture tube reads 0.003 MFD - you can almost double
> the capacitance by wrapping foil on the outside of any picture tube.
>
> I've tried this on both small and medium size coils, it works great !
>
> Phil
> TCBFW
Phil, All,

DANGER !!! I would not advise employing a large CRT as a capacitor
unless the vacuum inside has been replaced with air. Either puncture the
thin metal at the bottom of the HV connector well carefully and gently
with a sharp pointed awl, or snip off the glass evacuation stem at the
e-gun end with wire snips or pliers.  During the operation as a
capacitor the glass of the tube could puncture and possibly cause the
tube to implode with potentially catastrophic effects.  The high speed
glass projectiles from a crt implosion can do a lot more damage than
just take out your eyes!  Be ever careful!

Robert W. Stephens