[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: This phase shift stuff...

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>
> Hi Jim,
>
>         One could build a TC in a can which would increase the
capacitance along
> the seconday greatly and push the system into more of a transmission line
> type of system.  However, would this be a realistic system to compared to
> the regualar kinds of Tesla coils we all use?  I am really looking for the
> effects in the standard type of system with no tricks.
>
>         Terry

Perhaps that is the goal of the experiment: to determine where the
lumped model breaks down and the transmission line is more appropriate?
One analysis of the conventional self C considers it as a can that has
been opened up and flattened out (a conical can with 180 degree included
angle). I was thinking of something where you had, say, 50 to 100
turns... more than a helical resonator which often only has less than
10.. but less than a classical TC with several hundred.  We know the
lumped mechanism works: use a big L and a big C so that parasitic C is
neglible and you still get big voltages. The idea here is to build
something that has distributed L and C, but is still small in terms of
wavelength (although, given that loaded LC structures have slow
propagation speeds, you are getting to a slow wave phenomena, and it
isn't small compared to a wavelength anymore).

I know some students who are starting out in a class on FDTD (finite
difference, time domain) electromagnetic analysis and might be
interested in a project. Could we formulate some questions to ask them?

--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213