From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 1999 11:34 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: SCR based coil

Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com

To All,
          The power transistors in question have a 150W dissapation and I am
going to use 4 in parallel with a 150uF discharge cap.  The transistors in
question have a comparatively fast rise time so the period when they are
actually dissapating any power is very short.  Also power MOSFETs are
completely un suited to this application as devices capable of working at
this
voltage they have a far to high on resistance.  (lower voltage devices have
much lower resistance making them ok for switched mode PSUs) I am aware of
the
IGBT option however the annoying drive arrangements are not worth it.  I may
use IGBTs on some future project as they do have exceptional power ratings
for
their cost.

Nick Field