[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help...I'm having a lot of problems here...

Thanks for the rapid response, Malcolm.

>> Power source:
>>
>>     Furnace transformer or NST (I'm not sure):
>>             -10KVA
>>             -25 milliamp
>>
>> Cap (set back for a good laugh):
>>
>>             -12x    2KVDC .01 uf ceramic caps soldered  in parallel for a
>> total of 24KVDC
>>                 -submerged in mineral oil in plexi box
>
>Hooking the caps in parallel doesn't alter the voltage rating at all.
>It remains that of the lowest voltage rated cap in the stack. What it
>does do is sum the capacitances. I'm guessing you've ended up with a
>0.12uF capacitor rated at 2kVDC.
>     Being limited to 25mA, the transformer is not going to charge a
>cap of that size to a very high voltage at all. Also, if you
>calculated your primary inductance to match the caps in series (i.e.
>0.01uF/12 or 833pF), the coil will be way out of tune. Note also that
>you will not get much energy at all from that capacitance charged to
>10kV (or 14kV peak).
>    I think you should aim to build a cap of about 6.6nF (0.0066uF)
>for that transformer. Primary coil will need to be adjusted so the
>tank tunes to the secondary of course.

Am I looking at the proper type of cap (ceramic)?  Should I be looking at
electrolytic caps?  The reason I ask is because I couldn't get any output
after hooking this unit up parallel with the transformer (i.e. one lead of
the cap to the hot and the other to the ground).  I was only able to get a
discharge at the gap when having the cap in series between the transformer
and the gap.  My understanding of the ceramic variety is they are not
polarized, or doesn't this matter?

Also, I was told today that the output of the transformer must be rectified,
that the output is AC and that caps will only work in DC.  Is this true?

>The radius of curvature is far too big for the amount of primary
>energy you are running. If you stick a metallic bump on it you should
>get something. However, get the primary capacitor and primary coil
>right first.
>
>Malcolm

I would assume you're talking of my toroid? And when you talk of a metal
bump do you mean like a door knob (or something of the likes)?

Kent