[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Arc Gaps

Hi Harvey,

	The gap should fire just as the voltage in the tank capacitor reaches the
maxiumum voltage on the AC cyclce.  There are some resonant and dynamic
effects that make this point occure latter than one would think if the
charging circuit is resonant as in many neon systems.

	The short to the poser supply is handled though chokes or current limits
in the transformers depending on what type of system it is.

	My neon system uses a 120BPS sync gap.  This is what it is designed for
and the neon transformer just barely charges the cap to full voltage at
this rate.  However, if one has a pole pig system that can charge the cap
very quickly, you can go to higher break rates since the pig can charge the
cap many times during an AC cycle.  Thus the very high break rates...

	There are sync motors around for not too much money or you can convert a
regualar AC motor.  I have never done this so I'll leave it to others to
explain or check the archives.

	Terry