[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Plans for a 7.5 kv coil

I confess that I'm new to this list, having
signed on just a few days ago, and my usual
habit is to lay in the shadows for a coupla
weeks before submitting.  However this time I
decided to make an exception because I need a
project to work on with my son and winding a
tesla coil seems like a very good option.

I've got a background in electronics, having
earned my ham radio liciense 30+ years ago in
high school and built my own transmitters
from scratch.  About that same time a friend
and I made a tesla coil which spit sparks 25"
long.  So I'm not a stranger to either HV or
RF.

My son and I would like to build a coil and
I've scoured the internet for plans, found
some interesting websites, but the majority
of examples and plans I've seen utilize neon
sign transformers at 15 kv or higher.  I have
one neon sign transformer that's a 7.5 kv and
a number of fuel-oil burner ignition
transformers which are also 7.5 kv.  I know
that it is suggested to go to a store that
deals in making neon signs for advertising
purposes but I live outside of Jerusalem,
and though Israel is definitely not a
3rd-world country, small neon signs are just
starting to be visible in this country.  I'd
be hard pressed to locate such a shop, much
less obtain one bigger than 10 kv in any
case.

So can anyone direct me toward plans that
might use a transformers that I have in
stock, rather than attempt a possibly futile
attempt to ferret out one of a higher output
voltage?

Any help that could be provided  would be
greatly appreciated.

Dale Baranowski