[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

My last comment: pole pig needed PCB

Pardon me,
This is insane.  To knowingly dispose of a toxic substance in this
manner calls for admonishment.
There was a place in Missouri outside of St Louis called Loves
Beach (or Loves Park). that was contamintaed with PCB's.
The guy who did it collected waste oil and sprayed it over the
gravel roads to keep the dust down.  After several years people
were becomig ill and it was traced to this oil.  The whole town
was condemmed and bulldozed.  People died.  The guy who did
the spraying was sentenced to life in prison even though he
claimed no knowledge that this oil was hazardous and his kids
even played in the roads that were sprayed.
A very sad but very true story.
YOU NEED TO THNK AGAIN.
Glenn

Original Poster: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I talked with the power company here and asked them what they do with the
oil from old power line pole transformers and if any of the old units have
PCB.  They said they don't know if the old units have PCB but its possible
that they do.  They have a oil burn pot that they put all the used oil in
and they set it on fire and burn it.  They don't worry about PCB they just
burn it.  The burn pot looks like a 24" piece of steel pipe about 12" tall
with a piece of 1/4" steel welded on one end.

Service stations will take used oil and not ask any questions.  I chance my
own oil on both trucks and the car and when I get a 5 gallon bucket of oil I
take it to a service station and get rid of it.  I just pour it into the
holding tank and once a month a truck comes and takes it back to the oil
refinery.

If you have used oil its not any trouble to get rid of it.

Gary Weaver

<<<< Even I have to mention something here...  If you knowingly dispose of
a toxic substance in an "improper" or "unsafe way" and get caught.  The
legal problems will far outweigh any reasons for not paying to have the
substance disposed of properly.  The fines and jail times are enormous...
A case in point.  If I refill a disposable gas cylinder with air to say
fill my car tires with air, the fine is $500,000 and five years.  I don't
think you want to mess with the biggest brother on this one.  You could
easily get squished! - Terry >>>>