From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 1999 4:28 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: wire for secondary

Original Poster: Brandywine <brandywine-at-writeme-dot-com>

   I should clarify something here. That one shop that was abundantly
willing to supply what I needed did not agree to do so for free. The
point was that I discovered different degrees of willingness on the part
of various motor repair shops to provide a service they do not normally
provide---that of selling wire.
   The wire from Mouser was a single, 8 lb roll of 20 gauge solid copper
"enameled" wire; but the enamel is a nylon compound of some sort, if I
remember correctly. Rea is the manufacturer. The cost was about $50.00 in
1996. How this red nylon insulation compares to others in terms of Tesla
duty I do not know, but it makes sumptuously beautiful secondaries. Do
not neglect the Aesthetic aspects of your coils!
Dave Hartwick

[Update---checked mousers site>> http://www.mouser-dot-com. That same 20
gauge roll now sells for $57.36. I'm sure others know of less expensive
suppliers---surplus, etc. (To peruse Mouser's selection, do a search for
"magnet wire" using their search engine.)]