From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 1999 9:37 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: NE555 driven coil WAS:Re: SCR driver coil...

Original Poster: Paolo <pagaiard-at-geocities-dot-com>

  Hi all,
  I have to realize (for an electronics exam) a solid state driven TC
  with a very high efficiency.
  I need to know your opinion on a couple of ideas.
  Suppose I build a ne555 based impulse generator which
  makes 1 us long pulses with a (say) 100-500Khz repetition rate.
  Then I send those pulses into a power transistor (a BJT working a
  current controlled switch, of course)
  via a 2N2222 based current buffer (say a follower emitter).

  I could drive directly an inductor tightly coupled to a tesla
secondary
  winding but with the power available (30W or so) I suppose the yeld
  would be quite low.

  But what if I feed a LC circuit with those current pulses?
  The LC must be tuned and coupled to the secondary winding, and feeding
  it with 1 us pulses, maybe with a repetition rate tuned to the TC
frequency
  should create into the LC couple powerful oscillations
    and thus make for a high power yeld into the secondary winding.

  I would like to read your opinion on this subject, which is of the
  maximum importance for me,
  Thank you in advance,
  Paolo Gaiardelli