[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pig needed

In a message dated 2/6/99 5:34:23 AM Mountain Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>    Seriously though, It's hard to imagine a coiler with PCB "awareness"
>  exposing
>  himself in a way that would result in  deleterious PCB effects.
>
>  Dave Hartwick
>  [I should note that I'm generally appalled by a country that's gone out-of-
> its
>  mind with safety consciousness. Environmentalists have succeeded in
>  producing in
>  the populace a "Chemical-Phobia". All chemicals are bad--Period.
>     Could we return to logic and reason?]

Dave,
   I will have to agree with you on this.   The reason PCB's are an
environmental problem is that they are so stable that the only way to
decompose them is in a high temperature reactor.  If they get spilled onto the
ground, they just stay there forever, making the ground unsuitable for plants
to grow.
   Those who used to work on transformers in the old days would probably
immerse their hands and arms in the oil and over about 20 years or so, develop
skin cancer.  That can happen with just about any organic chemical on
continuous or repeated exposure.  Gasoline is far worse than PCB's in that
regard.  It is just that the EPA created a stigma about PCB's.
    Nowday's just about every chemical seems to have a warning label on it
saying that it is known to the State of California to cause cancer.   I figure
I'll just stay away from there and I'll be ok :o)
Mike