[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring Output Current from a NST

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Ross W. Overstreet" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>
>
> The first several times I tried to measure the output current of my NST
> bank everything went great.  Last night things took a turn for the worse
> when the fuse blew in my Fluke 77 series multimeter and the arc started
> "looking around" inside the DMM for somewhere to go.  I managed to burn
> a hole in the PC board before I realized that the funny buzzing sound
> was comming from the meter. I haven't examined it too carefully yet, but
> it seems to be OK.  No components exploded and the trace on the card
> isn't damaged too bad.  Guess this is a bad idea, huh?  Especially when
> the fuse somehow blows and suddenly the two terminals inside the meter
> become a sealed spark gap, hehehe
>
> Is there a simple (cheap) way to measure the current output of NSTs?
> Anyone had good luck with current shunts made from readily available
> resistors?
>
> Burning stuff up BEFORE the coil is finished, muhahaha
> Ross Overstreet
> Huntington Beach, CA

Ross,

I've had good luck simply connecting a good old-fashioned analog MA AC
panel meter directly  across the NST secondary output.  Of course it
needs to be suitably rated for the total current of your transformer
bank.  Check whatever source you have for used/surplus electronics.  (I
have one for sale which reads up to 100 mA, contact me directly if
interested)

Tedd