From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 1999 4:08 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Measuring Output Current from a NST

Original Poster: "Ross W. Overstreet" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>

The first several times I tried to measure the output current of my NST
bank everything went great.  Last night things took a turn for the worse
when the fuse blew in my Fluke 77 series multimeter and the arc started
"looking around" inside the DMM for somewhere to go.  I managed to burn
a hole in the PC board before I realized that the funny buzzing sound
was comming from the meter. I haven't examined it too carefully yet, but
it seems to be OK.  No components exploded and the trace on the card
isn't damaged too bad.  Guess this is a bad idea, huh?  Especially when
the fuse somehow blows and suddenly the two terminals inside the meter
become a sealed spark gap, hehehe

Is there a simple (cheap) way to measure the current output of NSTs?
Anyone had good luck with current shunts made from readily available
resistors?

Burning stuff up BEFORE the coil is finished, muhahaha
Ross Overstreet
Huntington Beach, CA