[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Air Variable cap

Has anyone ever thought of making an air-variable cap for TC use?
The size would be the only downside and for our facility it's not an issue.
Other than that I think the positive effects would be incredible.

No insulation to breakdown, just a BANG and your fine.

You could presicely tune it to the coil and be free to experiment to a much
greater degree.

NO OIL TO MESS WITH!

How lossy would this be? If the plates were 12X12" what would the number
required be to max it out at 1Mfd at 80Kv? What would the spaceing be? I
figure that would be bigger than I could ever need and I only want to have
to build one of these giants.. :)

Alright....other than size....why is this a dumb idea? I have seen an Air
cored cap made with sheets of copper and wirenuts and it wasn't too big and
the site said it worked rather well and wasn't nearly as lossy as SW caps.

Basically the idea here is to build an indestrucable cap that we can use
with any coil we build and be free to experiment with. The design idea is to
mount a large amout of 12X12" copper...possibly steel....thin plates in a
Lexan form and have another array of them held in place with UHMW rods and
either make them pivot on one corner or lift them up and down into the other
array.

The only problem I can see is vibration causeing the plates to possibly
touch or at least arc out....and this thing will make a hell of a
racket....but that's not a big deal in this hobby anyway :)

Have fun guys....

Chris Boden
The Geek Group

BTW...if anyone else would like a copy of Boden's Laws email me off list and
I'll email you a copy.