[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor

Hi Tom,

	The 40Kv cap should be fine with a car ignition coil provided you don't
run the coil with high input voltage.  You will need a TV high voltage
rectifier or something similar to keep the energy in the cap from draining
backwards into the ignition coil between sparks.  I have used such a setup
to charge caps for single shot tesla coils with great results.  Since the
pulse rate is only about once per second, the cap will not overheat or have
any of the problems the higher power coils may have with burning up the caps.

In another post you ask if a fan from a computer could be used in a sync
gap.  Nope!  Too low of torque and completely non-synchronous.  You need a
real motor that can spin some nuts and bolts on a strong rotor really fast.
 Usually, at least a 1/4 HP motor is needed.  If your running the coil with
the charging circuit above, the rotary gap may not be of much use.  You may
want to check the following links for a good static gap and some sync motor
information:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/terrygap.jpg

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/syncmot.zip

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/RGAP.ZIP