[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla coiling terminology

At 11:53 PM 12/28/1999 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone thought of writeing a Lexicon for the Tesla world? I just
>finished my last book "Boden's Laws" and would love to tackle this as a
>project. There are a million acronyms and such out here and I would love to
>collect them all and catalogue them into a dictionary of sorts. Any ideas?
>

>Chris B.

Hi Chris,

	This comes up periodically.  There are tons more in the archives at
www.pupman-dot-com .  Search for "acronyms".  This will give you a start.
There are a lot of new people that could probably used a nice brushed up
list... - Terry

HDPE High density polyethylene
LDPE Low density polyethylene
PET Polyethylene terephthalate (mylar)
PP Polypropylene
PS Polystyrene
PVC Polyvinyl chloride
MMC Multi-mini cap
AC Alternating current
DC Direct current
SG Spark gap
KV Kilovolt
AWG American Wire Gauge
TC Tesla coil
LTRC Larger than resonance cap
FL Fluorescent Light
DMM Digital multimeter
RF Radio frequency
HF High Frequency
AL Aluminium
ARRL American Radio Relay League
CW Continuous wave
HV High voltage
BTW By the way
BTU British thermal unit
NaCl Salt
RMS Root mean squared
HZ Hertz
CPS Cycles per second
DW Damped wave
IMO In my opinion
IMHO In my humble opinion
KVA Kilo volt amp
PWM Pulse width modulator
TIG Tungsten inert gas
MIG Metal inert gas
PF Power factor
PFC Power factor correction
TCML Telsa coil mailing list
EMI Electromagnetic interference
RFI Radio frequency interference
VA Volt amp
PCB Polychlorinated biphenyl
RSG Rotary spark gap
SRSG Synchronous rotary spark gap
ASRSG Asynchronous rotary spark gap
RQSG Richard Quick spark gap
RPM Revolutions per minute
BPS Breaks per second
NST Neon sign transformer
CT Center tapped
PT Potential transformer
MOT Microwave oven transformer
OBIT Oil-burner ignition transformer
XFMR Transformer

NEW ONES.............

MMC = Many Mini Capacitors
    = Multiple Mini Capacitors

This is basically just using around 100+ small high voltage poly caps put
together in series and parallel to produce a single high voltage high
current cap useful in Tesla coils.  It has many advantages such as cost,
ease of construction, availability of parts, and it can be built to be very
reliable.

EMMC = Enhanced Multiple Mini Cap
     = Experimental Multi Mini Cap

This one uses as few as possible mini caps that are run over their voltage
and current ratings.  Hopefully, such a cap would give acceptable life and
save a lot of money over a truly well designed cap.

EEMMC = Experimental Enhanced Multi Mini Cap

This is a cap that may have very few mini caps in it.  It is basically used
for destructive testing.  Sort of a test bed to determine what failure
modes MMCs can fail in and to study the characteristics of those failures.

LTR = Larger Than Resonant

A cap or Tesla coil system that uses large value caps (~2x) than would
normally be used in a current limited transformer Tesla coil.  My LTR coil
uses a 28nF cap with a single 15kV/60mA transformer.  LTR coils do not
stress the neon transformers but can produce much more output power.  They
need rotary sync gaps to operate properly.

IK = Inductive Kick

The effect LTR coils use to charge large value caps with relatively low
current transformers.