[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Several questions about coil.

I have made a tesla coil which is powered by 10kV 150mA transformer.
I have a static gap (im still trying various gaps - any suggestions),
4in secondary (770 turns made with 0.7mm wire),my primary is
flat archimedes spiral (it's12 turns ,but of course I can adjust number
of turns from 1 to 12). I have 23nF capacitor made of 20 beer bottles
and salt water. My grounding is home water pipe system. My home
installation is 10A 220V 50Hz.
This is characteristic of my coil , and i have some questions about it.

My first problem is that I connect my transformer with 1800W water
heating device (i don't have variable transformer :-( and without
ballast,my 10A fuse burns when the spark gap is on.
What is real output in this connection?
Is it much worse than with variac.

Second question is about capacitors. I have made a 25nF rolled capacitor
, and it worked, but much worse than beer bottle capacitor. What can be
wrong with it ?

I have also problem with toroid. I have made a 17pF toroid but it
doesn't work properly. It's not making any sparks into the air. I can
make only about 4-5in spark to grounded rod. I noticed that when im not
using a toroid , but small, one inch diam. ball,
my coil produces 3-4 in sparks into the air and also 4-5 in sparks to
the grounded rod. Of course i want to do something to make my coil
working properly with toroid. Which part of my coil may cause this
problem ? Is the toroid too big, to use in my coil, or something is
wrong?
Of course i remamber about changing resonant frequency.

My last question is about configuration of my coil. If you have any
suggestions, what to change in my coil please share your knowledge.

Great thanks for all answers.

Kamil Kompa
czlonek-at-polbox-dot-com

  Zrob swiateczne zakupy w EMPiK-dot-com. Do 31 grudnia
http://www.Empik-dot-com przesyla zamowione towary GRATIS!