[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fat Diode help.....

What you have sounds like a selenium rectifier.  I still have a few of those
old antiques myself.  I keep them around just because they are old.  They
use to be very widely used 30 years ago.  Selenium is a metal.  I don't
remember ever seeing a SR with a very high voltage or current rating. I use
to have a big SR 6"x12"x12" that was rated 60 volts 40 amps. If you over
load a selenium rectifier it makes a small bang like a firecracker and a
cloud of very toxic smoke.  The toxins collect in your liver and kidneys and
stay there for life.  It can cause all sorts of health problems.  I suggest
you put the relics in a zip lock plastic bag and put them with your
collection of antique electronic parts.  You can find some diodes to do the
same thing as the SR that are several times smaller and cost only a few
dollors.

Gary Weaver