[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Nested Secondaries

I have had thoughts along these lines but I've never had
the chance to actually try it.

The trick would be to make concentric coils with the same
inductance and native resonances. Not an easy thing to do!
Any differences in behavior along the length of the concentric
secondaries would lead to flash over between them.

But if you could do it with two then why not three and so  on?

If you start to think about what goes on in the flux field it
gets very messy.  A conductor subjected to a moving magnetic
field responds with a current flow that creates a magnetic field
in opposition to the initial field.  With two concentric coils
and a primary you get three fields acting on any coil in the
group.

I'm not sure it would be possible to get it to behave in a stable
fashion.  But that is just intuition.  Someone would have
to try it and do the observations to be sure.

Even if it failed it might be pretty spectacular for a little
while...

Just my two cents.

John