From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, December 20, 1999 11:05 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Franceformer repair

Original Poster: Apollo <ollopa-at-jps-dot-net>

I got a nice little 15-60 Franceformer the other day to add to my
NST collection, but there were a couple of problems with it.  It was
only putting out 50ma of current, so the guy gave it to me for free.
It looked like cleaning the heavy corrosion off the terminals was all it
would need to be a-ok, but when I fired it up the lights flickered like mad
and some smoke puffed out the lid.  I shut it off quick and checked it out
with my ohm meter.  The primary and secondaries were looking good, but I
noticed that the primary winding is shorted to the ground, and thus
connected to
the secondaries.  Not a good condition!  I don't want to run it without a
ground
OR with the secondaries tied to the primary through the core.

I've got the core out and about 98% unpotted.  There were four bolts (one
in each
corner) holding the core together.  I also noticed that the core seems to
be made
of two sideways U shaped parts with the seam going right down the middle
(where the
primary winding is).  I've got the bolts out, but I can't figure out how to
get the
core apart.  Am I going to have to peel each layer of laminate off
carefully, or should
it pop apart with a screwdriver or two?

Also, there are four banks of shunts (two per side).  How many shunts is it
safe to
remove from each bank?

Y.T. -
Rick Richard