[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Induction heating in torroid / short circuit of secondary

I'm currently building my second tesla coil and having looked at the various
options have decide to make a torroid out of aluminium ducting.  To provide
a form for the ducting I was planning to use two pie tins fitted back to
back, with the tapered rims forming a good match to the shape of the inside
of the ducting (i.e. something like O>==<O).

I've got two worries though, where I'd be interest to hear other people's
views and experiences.

1) If I use steel pie tins will I get problems with induction heating?
2) More generally, does the complete conducting loop of the torroid act as a
short circuited turn coupled into the flux of the secondary?  If so, would
it be better to leave a gap in the torroid to minimize power loss?

Thanks,

Colin.