[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's Energy Trans

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:56:39 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Max Erhard <max.erhard-at-softhome-dot-net>
>
> That sounds like a really good idea, though so good that someone must
> have thought of it before and then dissmissed it. It would avoid winding
> a stupidly large coil that resonates at the 18hz or whatever it is
> frequency. I suspect the problem is that you can't rely on two waves to
> nicely bump into each other and half cancel each other out to produce a
> beat frequency, you'd have to somehow couple the two coils together, but
> that would screw up the whole thing. If it did work I suppose it would
> be rather inefficient, due to the cancelling out, most of the energy
> would move between the coils and not be transmitted.
>
> I'd assume its an impossible idea, though I don't actually know. Any of
> the experts here know ?
>

> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: "Steve Bell" <steve-at-breakfix.demon.co.uk>
> >
> > With regards to the difference in frequency of a typical Tesla Coil to
the
> > earth resonance frequency, and therefore my total lack of understanding
of
> > how Nikola could set up an earth resonant wave with his coil, could two
> > coils be run from the same earth connection but each having a different
> > operating frequency, and generate a low (earth res freq) beat
frequency?

> > Steve Bell (UK)
> > steve-at-breakfix.demon.co.uk
> > http://www.breakfix.demon.co.uk

This idea also occurred to me years ago. It sounds kind of feasible. I made
a post about a large coil system in which independent grounds on each
secondary were used. I thought it unusual that I found I could obtain arcing
between each coil system secondary, even when they shouldnt have done so by
virtue of identical polarity. That was a 10 ft diameter secondary with only
42 winds separated at 1 inch, comprising 1500 ft total length. This was
interacted with another secondary of 1500 ft wire length of 14 gauge wire on
both systems. That smaller secondary had 9 turns per inch with 20 inch
diameter, about 30 inch ht.(These figures could be off, they are quoted from
memory) This was a very unusual design sort of based on CSN ideas. When I
posted that I had achieved arcing between secondaries when they were
supposed to be identical polarities:Malcolm replied that one of the systems
must have been badly out of tune to achieve arcing between secondaries when
the primaries were supposed to make them in identical polarities.I wondered
about this for a while, and it wasnt until recently that I dug up those
notes from 1992. What I had done was to make a total monumental error in
calculation of inductances of primaries. All of my notes indicate that the
bottom term of Wheelers formula which was supposed to be 9A+10B: I used a
figure of 9A+19B for the denominator! This means that every coil I built was
totally out of tune! I wondered why changing the capacitance didnt seem to
effect the arcing very much, that was because I was already far out of tune.
The smaller secondary only produced 3 or 4 inch discharges on its own,from a
15,000 volt Magnetek Neon transformer and some folks thought that wasnt a
very good production performance, although most including myself had never
built a coil. All of this may seem very irrevalent,but it may tie in with
your idea of a beat frequency, or using bad tuning to achieve an effect
Tesla theorized about. The large diameter secondary was grounded to the gas
mains, the smaller diameter secondary was grounded as is from a copper post
driven into the ground right near that secondary on the outside of the
larger secondary perimeter. The grounds were probably 30 ft distant from
each other. I made a video of the arcing between those systems: again it
surprised me that arcing could occur between them when they were supposed to
be in identical polarities. Malcolm was totally right, the only way that
could occur is if the whole shabang was totally out of tune. I kept
switching those polarities back and forth for about 15 minutes to a half
hour, wondering how that effect could occur. That was about midnight. The
next day about noon a loud explosion was heard, and we had no more cartoons
on the tele on Saturday. On a perfectly calm day in July, something happened
on the power transformer supplying power down our street. We were the only
street in town without power, something called a lightening arrester had
exploded. It made a big sound like a M-80, this was near the 4th of July and
we just figured someone was having fun, although the power being out
perplexed us, but not for long. The next thing we knew the police was at our
doorsteps saying the neighbors had complained they thought we were
responsible for knocking out the power on the only street in town this
happened to. They had witnessed the shenanigans the night before; you really
cant hide a large  outside 10 ft diameter coil disguised as a morning glory
trellis. Especially with all the assorted high voltage stuff laying around
from the night before.
That was the end of my tesla coil experimentation, and I never even did it
right! The police could do nothing but ask questions, and the experts said,
well if you werent running it today it couldnt possibly be your fault, it
must have been a squirrel that got electrocuted somewhere down the street.
They looked and found nothing, but the Edison workers sure did give me some
strange looks! After that episode I never considered Teslas ideas
rediculous, but perhaps dangerous. HDN

Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite-dot-com
Talk online at http://voicechat.excite-dot-com