[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's Energy Transmission

Hi RWW,

At 10:53 PM 12/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>11/12/99
>
>Quoting Charles Yost:
>
>Tesla stated the basic requirements for Earth resonance in his Patent #
>787,412 filed May 16, 1900 and issued April 18, 1905.  The patent states in
>part:
>
>"... the planet behaves like a perfectly smooth or polished conductor of
>inappreciable resistance with capacity and self-induction uniformly
>distributed along the axis of symmetry of wave propagation and transmitting
>slow elecrical oscillations without sensible distortion and attenuatuion".

snip...

	I think the above is the fundamental flaw in all this.  The earth is
actually a resistive almost artificial dielectric that is capable of
absorbing energy by it's giant capacitance.  However, it dissipates that
energy as heat with 100's, 10,s or a few meters of the source.  This
resistance does vary with frequency, but the losses are enormous in all
cases.

	Simply drive two rods into the ground with a large current source
connected to them.  Vary the frequency of the current until the zero
resistance frequency is found.  You won't find it.  The resistance will be
at least in the tens of ohms if you live in a really wet area.  My TC may
put 15 amps into the soil and assuming it is 10 ohms per foot I will drop
150 volts per foot.  I have 300000 volts to play with so I will go about
2000 feet.  The resistance to the other side of the earth is roughly 4G
ohms.  If I feed 300kV in 4G ohms I get 75uamps from my original 15 amps.
Assuming that has to bounce back from Saint Paul Island (the "other side"
in my case) I get back 0.375 nano-amps from my original 15 (assuming the
same loss factor).  So the resonant build up is basically zero.  This may
not be the most accurate example but it does give a very rough idea of the
overwhelming resonant damping involved.  You are far better off trying to
send energy between the ground and the ionosphere but a big radio (ELF like
the military uses) is the device of choice.  Of course, the smallest
battery will deliver far more energy at the target...

	The fact that you may use a theoretical resonant frequency is of no help
because your resonant system is massively damped by the energy absorption
of the ground.  BTW - 76Hz has been taken already ;-)

	Since Tesla's original purpose for building the Colorado Springs system
was energy transmission, I let this thread go probably longer than I
should.  But it really is important to understand the views people have on
it even if we don't all agree.  If Tesla were to subscribe to this list, he
would probably wonder why we waste our time trying to make sparks. :-)

	So far, no one has transmitted useful energy oven long distances the way
Tesla envisioned.  There are a lot of rumors, papers you can spend money
on, theories...  but no actual distant power transmission.  Not even close.
 In the past one hundred years many have given it a darn good try, but the
actual proven results are still just about zero.  Since this list deals
with the practical side of coiling, this thread only has historical
significance to us.  Quite honestly, we have been hearing "talk" of this
for 99+ years but talk is cheap.  If anybody can do it, don't talk about
it, just do it.  Then we will all be really impressed and want to build
them ourselves.  But hearing all the ideas, theories, arguments over and
over again without any actual working equipment after 100 years gets old.

I'll give the thread another day so everyone can get their last licks in
and then I will end it...

	Terry