[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Are those dumb questions?

Hi everyone!

I am going to start building a new coil, but this time, I really want to
understand every aspect of the coil, and I started by refreshing my knowledge
about RLC circuits, and by reading a lot of stuff on that subject. So far, I
have tons of question, and here are the most important ones:

I read that a common way of starting was to find the capacitance value for the
tank circuit, in order that the impedance of the cap cancels the one of the
transformer. Then you build your secondary and find its resonant frequency and
finally, you build your primary to match the frequency of the secondary. My
reflex would have been to finish by finding the capacitance value, and to take
a capacitance value in order that the impedance of the capacitor would cancel
the one of the transformer AND the one of the primary coil, but this is
obviously wrong, why?

I also read that a higher breaking rate of the spark gap increases the amount
of power in the coil. But does the braking rate of the spark gap influence the
frequency of the tank circuit? I thought this would, because at each breaking
the current changes direction and charges/discharges the caps. But the bps is
not included in the calculations to find the primary frequency, for one uses
the formula omega=(Lprim * Cprim)^-0.5. in clear my question is : Is the bps of
the spark gap and the frequency of the primary related (which would mean that I
need to find the right bps to reach the reasonnant frequency between primary
and secondary) or isn't there any relation?

I want to limit the power of the TC at 1.8KV, which means 8 amps drawn on the
house sector. How can I achieve that on a non-current limited transformer. (a
resistor of 27.5 ohm??? but at 8 amps, that means that the 1.8KW are wasted
here and nothing for the coil... Where is the mistake?)

You might think that those are dumb question, but You would really help me if
you could answer some of these questions, because it would help me to really
understand how a TC works. And I already thank all of you who will bring the
light to my brain... Thank you very much

Samuel