[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

V-27 tube coil with staccato pulsing

Hello coilers,

Initial testing of the V-27 with the lucite secondary was disappointing.
Maybe the losses are too high, or maybe certain parameters were not
optimized.  In any case, I installed the old 3" by 12" secondary, and the
old cylindrical primary, both with polystyrene forms, and the operation
was somewhat better.  I'm getting 24" sparks using the two 833A tubes.
The wallplug wattage is 2500 watts.  The windings get quite warm on
this small coil at this power level.

Next I hooked up the staccato control board, along with the thryratron
control tube, and ran the coil at various pulsed rates.  I can vary the
pulsing from 30 PPS to a much lower rate, and the power input is
reduced in proportion.  Of course the tubes run cool at these slower
rates.  The varying machine-gun-like sound and pulsing is interesting
to watch.  I might re-package this coil into a portable arrangement.
At the fastest pulse rate, at 1050 watts, I still get a 23" spark output.
So this coil could easily function on a 15A, 120 Volt circuit.

Next I'll install the level-shifted power supply, and replace the thryratron
with an SCR, both for weight and space savings.

Schematics for some of my other tube coils and staccato circuit, can
be seen at David Trimmell's website at:

  www.pond-dot-net/%7Edavidt/webdoc2.htg/Tube%20coil/staccato.htm

Cheers,
John Freau