[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sealing Plexiglas

 >>Has anyone actually sealed a secondary on Plexiglas with a 'material' that
worked? if so, what and where and how much (US$ please). My head is spinning<<

I regularly use chloroform (methyl tri-chloride) to cement Plexiglas which I
 believe is the R & H trade name for
acrylic plastic. Carefully machined parts buffed to a transparent finish will
cement to a
transparent joint. Well-fitted parts form a weld-like joint. I apply the
chloroform with a hypodermic syringe. I have used the chloroform to "spot
weld" wire to a plastic cylinder. The action is very fast and it will hold
the wire in place if you don't attempt to lift the wire. This is not a strong
joint. Keep tension on the wire. The chloroform will run under the wire
as a thin film and must be used sparingly. Any spills will craze the plastic.

It works, but I think PVC is much easier to work with. The plastic looks nice
but it's not
worth the price and added bother. The chloroform is inexpensive and can also
make your
head spin.  ;o)

Happy holidays to all,
Ralph Zekelman