[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sealing Plexiglas

Robert: I think you probably wore out the Spell Check Dictionary. But it
seems I have some testing to do. Perhaps plain, old, (really not too old)
varnish? I'm guess here folks.

Has anyone actually sealed a secondary on Plexiglas with a 'material' that
worked? if so, what and where and how much (US$ please). My head is spinning
more than the winding jig at this point.

Ted

Original Poster: "ROBERT CRESSLER" <59CREROB-at-MENASHA-dot-com>
<snip>
I quote form "Plexiglas Handbook" by Rohm & Haas  (from 1966 oldie but
goodie!)
Plexiglas(acrylic: cell cast) chemical properties
"In general, Plexiglas is unaffected by most inorganic solutions, mineral
and
animal oils, and low concentrations of alcohol. Oxidizing acids affect the
material only in high concentrations; and it is unaffected by paraffinic and
olefinic hydrocarbons,amines,alkymonoalides,and esters containing more than
ten carbon atoms.
Lower esters,aromatic hydrocarbons,phenols,aryl halides,aliphatic acids and
alkyl polyhalides usually have a solvent action"

(Whew! tough on spell check)    sooo,yes I suspect the solvent in the
polyurethane will have a solvent action and (probably) cause  some type of
crazing. more so on extruded
acrylic tube

Robert