[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Litz

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 12/5/99 8:47:43 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> << Subj:     Re: Litz
>  Date:  12/5/99 8:47:43 PM Central Standard Time
>  From:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla List)
>  To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
>  Original Poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Antonio,
> This is what makes the Tesla list so great. The wire is litz wire. Not Litz.
> That's the translational error
> I think you are referring to. I checked my 2nd ed of Terman: on page 41 he
> refers to litz wire. The
> Chamber's Technical Dictionary defines litzendraht just as my German-American
> dictionary defines it.
> And the 1999 MWS wire catalog has litz wire and explains the origin of the
> name from litzendraht.
>
> The translational error is in capitalizing litz. It is not a proper name.
>
> Happy day,
> Ralph Zekelman

>  > >From a German-English dictionary:
>  >
>  > litz+draht = woven wire
>  > litzendraht
>
>  Interesting. So "Litz wire" is a translation error. It would be
>  interesting to track the origin of the name.
>
>  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

	"Litz" is, I think, not a translation error but just a shortening of
the name through common usage.  By the way, Zenneck (not Zeleneck)
attributes the first suggestion on reducing the AC resistance of a
conductor by the use of woven strands of fine wire to Tesla!  Should be
of interest to Tesla fans.

Ed