[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: drying coil forms

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
> to: Jim
>
> PVC is extremely hygroscopic especially at the surface.  It links with water
> molecules in the air to form a surface that "tracks" at high voltages.
> That's why other materials such as phenolic and ceramics are used especially
> with RF currents at high potentials.
>
> Drying and sealing the surface is a "must" for quality HV work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr. Resonance

Dr. R:

	I have read repeatedly of the necessity of "sealing" the surface of
PVC.  While I've never made a TC with PVC pipe for the form, I have made
a number of Van de Graaf generators with PVC for the columns, and have
never observed any analogous effects.  I have a rather small machine
here on my desk which starts and runs just fine even when it's very
humid or raining outside.  Any thoughts?

Ed