[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

My new adjustable SRSG

Gang!

After having reached the end of performance with the "Amacord" static
gap, I set out to construct a SRSG.
I have made a 1500 rpm, 300mm (12") dia., 300 BPS unit.
Listening here on the list, It became clear that I should use Tungsten
Metal electrodes, with 2% thorium. I made them 8 mm thick (5/16")
It has been mentioned, that the gap losses increase with the number of
individual gaps, so I setteled for 2 series gaps.
The elektrode shape should be hemisferical, so be it, but on the other
end of each electrode (they can be turned, when needed) I made a large
radius at the end, blending into a small radius at the edge.
The motor must be sync, and I was fortunate to find a Siemens 1500 RPM
3-phase unit for 80 $.
It must have safety gaps, and the local hardware shop had nice
drawer-knobs in guilded brass: that looks cool.

Playing around with Microsim, it became obvious, that each set of
electrodes had to be adjustable, in order to acheive the much sought
after "equal bang size". The position of each electrode change, when the
current limit is changed, so all electrodes are adjustable. You`d
probably better go to the relevant page to see, how that was done.

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/sparkgap/sparkgap.htm

Not a universal rule, this one, but I also think that it should look
GOOD, I`l leave it to you to be the judge of that.

Cheers, Finn Hammer