[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Litz wire

Hello All,

> Original Poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> > Original Poster: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

snip

> > I don't know who
> > invented it. Probably someone called "Litz".

> LITZENDRAHT!  Name predates 1914, and "Litz"
>has been used almost universally.

Actually "Litz" comes from the Latin word litzere, which
means folded and interwoven, so Ralph Z. was pretty
close.

However, nowadays, in Germany, the word "Schaltungslitze"
is used for your typical stranded wire, used to interconnect
components in electronic circuits. Whereas "steifer", "harter"
or "voll" -Draht stands for solid (single conductor) wire.

"Entloetlitze" is the word for rosin cored desoldering braid.

The word "Litzendraht" does, indeed (here in Germany), also
stand for the same stuff it means in U.S.A.

Breakin´ the language barrier............ ;o)

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard

P.S: I won´t dare mention something off-topic, like wishing
all you coilers out there a bunch of happy holidays ;o)