[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Revisions!

On Sat, 04 Dec 1999 23:09:23 -0700 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: "Spud" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>
>
> 	Hey again.  Well, my coil is sitting in my garage, anxiously
> waiting to
> get worked on some more.  As I posted earlier, I blew my 12Kv/30mA
> NST, and
> it was indeed a destroyed secondary, not just carbon tracks, so I
> junked
> it. But, I have recently come across a goldmine of neon
> transformers. :-)
> Now I have six 15Kv/30mA units, and I can go back and get more if I
> have
> such a desire. :)  Anyway, I am going to give the new specifications
> of my
> coil.   Please look over them and notify me of any flaws.  Also,
> give me a
> prediction on what the spark length should be when I get the system
> finely
> tuned.   Thanks a bunch.

Hello, Ryan

Everything seems fine. The .007µF is a little high for a 15/30 NST, and
you may have difficulty getting a "smoothness" to the streamers, rather,
they will be more bolt-like, snapping at each bang of the gap. I
experienced this when trying a 2X resonant cap with a RQ-style gap, but
any effect it may have on you will probably be far more minimal.
WinTesla says your system should tune in at about 6-7 turns, so 15 turns
will be more than enough.

I've never built a forced-air gap, but I've heard of others getting
superb results from them. The best approaches I've seen use hollow
electrodes, with the air forced out of the center of each one, blowing
out the spark.

Grayson Dietrich
http://www.electrophile.8m-dot-com