[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PFC caps and a question

Hello folks.  I need to get 100uF cap(s) suitable for use as PFC caps on
my NST.  Any suggestions on what kinds of cap to get and where to get
them?  I'm assuming the PFC cap is simply connected in parallel with the
primary of the NST?

Secondly: I'm sure this is probably a dumb question with an obvious
answer but....  If a streamer from the toroid of an operating coil were
to strike [for example] the primary coils, and the safety gap across the
NST failed to fire, would it be possible for either HV or HV RF to get
onto the primary side of the NST?  Specifically, I'm thinking if one got
a 1 MV strike to the primary of a 12kV NST, wouldn't that mean that it
would be possible for 1 MV/(turns ratio -- 100) or about 10kV to appear
on the primary of the NST? And of course the variac/switch and primary
wiring of the NST isn't going to be rated 10kV.  Like I said I'm sure
this is a silly question but someone please explain why :)

-Stan