[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rectifying Action? Might it be that simple?

Hello Rienhard,

I remember the post well. There was a bit of discussion going on about
aluminum
conductors and rf currents in TC use. Mike's thought of the oxide barrier in
conjunction with the Cu possibly creating a rectification is interesting.
Is there
a way to measure the rectified gap to confirm this? It seems the static
Cu-Al is
easy enough to throw together. Maybe some on the list with the right measuring
tools can pop one together to verify this? If this truly does enhance gap
quenching, then I can at least imagine a rotary application with a Cu-Al gap
series'd with it.

Thanks for posting,
Bart

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: RWB355-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hello all,
>
> Some of you might remember my post some time ago where I reported that I
tried
> using a combination Cu-tubing and AL spark gap. During the testing of
3.3" TC
> I got longer sparks from the coil using this spark gap setup than
compared to
> a similar pure Cu spark gap (same total gap width, same number of gaps).

<snip>

> Anyway, now comes the interesting part. Mike (and I do, too, now) thinks
that
> this "AL-oxide layer to copper tubing" part of the gap acts as a sort of
> rectifier. This would allow the current to flow in one direction only.
Meaning