[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: using an SS White x-ray transformer

John,
    I would just dunk it in mineral oil and let the air seep out on it's
own. Also I think you would be better off changing how the transformer is
wired by putting the winding in parallel. Giving you 45Kv at 14mA. To
current limit this transformer wont take to much either. I not sure how well
it would mork on a tesla coil however. The voltage is rather high and the
current is rather low.

> Hello everyone, first time to post here.  Here's my situation:  I have a
90 Kv,
> 7 mA transformer from an older 1978 SS White x-ray generator and I want to
> readapt it for Tesla coil or other use.  With testing using a variac and
meter,
> I've found all the windings to be functioning properly.  Here's my
problem: The
> transformer was operated in transformer oil originally (which had been
drained
> out) and I've been told it is very difficult to remove all of the air and
> moisture from the tyranny upon refilling without a vacuum pump and jar.
Since
> I don't care to invest in the expensive equipment required for the job,
I'm
> wondering if I can operate this transformer at one half of its output
(50Kv, 3
> mA) either dry or just filling with mineral/ transformer oil (or even
kerosene)
> without vacuuming?  It was difficult to obtain this transformer and I'd
hate to
> burn it out, but I'm dying to experiment and I'm hesitant.  I already know
it's
> not current limited and that's one reason for the variac use.  Any
pointers
> would be appreciated.
>
> By the way, this transformer is set up kind of like a neon transformer:
one