[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RFI source tests...

Terry,

Excellent work and insights! The root of the problem is most likely the
pronounced negative resistance characteristic that occurs once the
spark-breakdown avalanche occurs - this can be of the order of a couple
of nanoseconds for a small gap. The transition has a negative resistance
V-I characterisitic similar to that of a tunnel diode oscillator, and
like a tunnel diode, GHz level oscillations are apparently the result.

It may be possible to use ferrites between the individual spark-gap
elements to slow down the dI/dt once the heavy main conduction begins,
but it's not obvious how the dI/dt can be appreciably reduced for the
discharge current associated with an individual gap's self-capacitance.
Using smaller electrodes, minimizing gap surface area, and using wider
spacing per gap reduce gap self-C, but making the air-gap smaller would
lower the maximum breakdown voltage. Since the gap self-energy is a
function of the Vgap squared, using physically smaller electrodes, with
smaller individual gaplengths and more gaps may help minimize (but not
eliminate) the RFI. Hmm... I wonder if rotary gaps generates as much RFI
as static gaps?

Commercial arc welders don't generate large amounts of high frequency
RFI most likely because the arc-generation mechanism is quite different.
For other than a TIG welder, the arc is initiated by "striking an arc" -
shorting the electrode to the workpiece - to form a high-current path
that we are the trying to break. However, the initial open-circuit
voltage before the arc is created is typically less than 80 volts, so
the "sparkgap" self energy is much less. Once formed, the arc is
stabilized by making our energy source "look" much like a current source
through the use of inductive ballasting. The significant inductance in
the current path, and the long ion lifetimes in the arc once its formed,
severely limit dI/dt.

In our spark gaps, we're starting out with a much higher voltage from a
local energy source (the parasitic gap capacitance) that "looks" more
like a voltage source. Very high current can thus flow when the gap
breaks down and current skyrockets during the breakdown avalanche. The
HV sparkgap would have a much greater dI/dt and dv/dt to shock excite
any surrounding parastic circuit elements even during partial gap
firings on a series-gap.

-- Bert --

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
>         Today I did more experiments with the RFI (Radio Frequency
Interference)