[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New type of TC RFI filter

Terry,
    I had often wondered what capacitance the primary might have. It
seem like it should if the secondary does. It look like to me that your
use the coax as a capacitor. Thne placing 2 caps in series across
the primary with a center ground. Basicly bypass caps to dump the
hi freq to ground?
Austa la taco,
Shaun

> Hi All
> Tonight while trying to get my spark gap model to fit real measurements
> (not quite there yet :-0), I think I found what causes those giant current
> spikes.  Also, I think I have a way to eliminate them now.
> It appears that the primary coil has self capacitance just like the
> secondary coil.  The space around the primary becomes charged and stores
> energy in the form of capacitance.  For my coil, I measured this
> capacitance as 38.9pF.  At 21kV that works out to only 0.0086 joules of
> stored energy.
<snip>