[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: actual measurements & pictures of the TC in action

Stan

The excessive Cself and Ctop readings are due to the fact that you can't
actually measure them with a conventional LCR meter, due to the fact that
(a) for Cself the meter will not magically 'forget' the inductive reactance
of the coil and (b) for Ctop you need to reference this against a good
ground while it is away from all other objects, and the stray C in the
measuring circuit will be very significant.

I think that Cself can only be measured by taking the self-resonant
freqency of the sec. alone then putting a reference cap across it and
measuring again. You can then use simutaneous equations (the simple tuned
circuit one) to determine the Cself. I think you need to know the
inductance first though - but your measurement here should be OK.

For Ctop I think you can use a similar technique - just work it out from
the drop in frequency when you add the toroid to the bare coil. This may
give you more realistic values.

Your pictures are very good and show some lovely streamer shapes. However
you have heavy corona from your top turn so you may want to lower the
toroid a bit more. Also, is that a hot-spot on the bottom of your secondary
or just a reflection? If it's inter-turn arcing I'd investigate carefully.

Alex Crow