From: Tesla List
To: Tesla List
Subject: Re: Spark Gap Gasses Experiment
Date: Monday, August 31, 1998 11:20AM

Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Terry Fritz wrote:

>gapair.jpg and gapair1.jpg - These photos show the ringdown with
>just air flowing into the gap.
Interesting.  I wonder if perhaps the purpose of the airflow is to cool
the metallic faces to keep hot "cathode spots" from forming.  Once a hot
spot would form, the breakdown voltage would be greatly reduced (just my
guess) since the hot spot would then be maintained via metallic arc
(since all the energy would continue to flow through that location).
This operation is opposed to the conventional wisdom that the air blast
interrupts the damped waveform (which, according to Terry's
measurements, is not the case)...

Comments anyone?  Let the flaming (or arcing) begin! :)