[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Smooth Toroid?

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:34:05 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
>

>	I am trying to make a toroid out of 4" drain pipe, covered in
>metallic flue
>tape.  I am most upset, because the tape was 8 dollars for a roll of
>15
>feet, and it doesn't stick and will not be smooth.  The toroid has
>wrinkles
>all over, there is not an inch of smooth surface.  I have read that
>smooth
>surfaces are the best, and I was wondering what the outcome would be
>with a
>poor toroid?  Does it give smaller discharges?  I am also concerned
>with my
>usage of surplus magnet wire.  There was a little corrosion on the
>outside
>of some of the wire.  What kind of effect would that have?  This is my
>first
>Tesla Coil, so I guess I've learned alot.  Thank You,
>
>-Andy

Andy, if you're dissatisfied with the results, try to find some 4"
aluminum dryer ducting. Use it inplace of the drain pipe, and don't cover
it with tape. The corrugated surface really doesn't have much of a
negative effect on discharge.
As for the magnet wire, if you've allready used it, just make darn sure
you coat the thing in polyurethane varnish.

With silent lightning in my hands,
-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]